Action Alert – IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED
Please call your State Senator and State Representative TODAY!
As you know, the Massachusetts State Legislature began its new two-year session three weeks ago. In this session, the Massachusetts Guardianship Policy Institute (the “Institute”) has initiated a bill to establish an Office of Adult Decisional Support Services within the Trial Court:
This proposed legislation would increase oversight and best-practices for guardians and conservators in Massachusetts.
The Institute’s bill last session, proposing a Public Guardian for Massachusetts, drew significant support, but was one of many bills that did not pass in a tumultuous end-of-session environment. In response, the new legislation proposes an intermediate step: support guardians and conservators within the current system; provide access to better training, resources and oversight; and increase vigilance to prevent abuses.
The Institute will continue to educate policymakers on the need for a Public Guardian to reach indigent populations. Meanwhile, the proposed Office of Adult Decisional Support Services will proactively improve guardianship and conservatorship services as they presently are provided.
The Office created by this legislation would:
- Identify training opportunities, resources, support and technical expertise for all court-appointed fiduciaries, both agency and private.
- Maintain records, strengthen supervision, respond to complaints, and support research into outcomes of guardianship and conservatorship.
- Encourage least-restrictive decisional support at all levels.
- Gather information, study and report on the unmet need within existing guardianship programs, in particular for indigent individuals, with no family, friends or safety network.
To learn more about the bill, click here: guardianship.institute/a-guardianship-policy-for-the-21st-century/
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUESTED: We Need Your Help!
We want to ensure that as many Senators and Representatives as possible sign on to the House and Senate version of this bill as co-sponsors. The deadline for co-sponsorship is THIS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2019.
Please turn over the page for direction pointers on how to help!
Current Action Steps:
We are asking you to make TWO CALLS today:
- One to your State Representative
- One to your State Senator
You can find out who your state representative is by going to www.wheredoivotema.com, by calling (800) 462-VOTE, or by contacting our government affairs consultant, Charlotte Boghossian, at 617-938-3526, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Calling your State Senator:
- Call your State Senator in the Massachusetts legislature (listed on www.wheredoivotema.com as “State Senator”). It is also fine to speak with an aide.
- What to say:
- My name is ___ and I’m calling on behalf of the Massachusetts Guardianship Policy Institute. [Expand on your personal connection/interest to the issue] As your constituent, I am asking you to sign onto SD619, An Act to establish an office of adult decisional support services, filed by Senator Cindy Creem.
- Explain briefly what SD619 would do, based on description included on Page 1 of this alert.
- Thank them for their time. If they have any questions, and you are unsure of the answer, simply say you do not know but will call them back. Please contact our government affairs consultant Charlotte Boghossian at email@example.com to help you get the answer.
Calling your State Representative:
- Call your State Representative in the Massachusetts legislature (listed on as www.wheredoivotema.com as “State Representative”). It is also fine to speak with an aide.
- What to say:
- My name is ___ and I’m calling on behalf of the Guardianship Policy Institute. [Expand on your personal connection/interest to the issue] As your constituent, I am asking you to sign onto HD2657, An Act to establish an office of adult decisional support services, filed by Representative Paul Tucker.
- Explain briefly what HD2657 would do, based on description included on Page 1 of this alert.
Once you’ve made your calls, please take one more moment to let us know what the response was. Contact our government affairs consultant, Charlotte Boghossian, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your advocacy!